Monday, January 31, 2011

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ... oi, oi, oi!

After an abnormally rainy two days in Singapore -- non-stop downpour -- I have had enough. It is a Sunday afternoon, the Australian Open Men's Finals were on, and I decide it was time to try the Australian bar/restaurant across the river from me. It's always pleasantly crowded, and they show Australian and English sports (cricket world cup coming up!) and, oddly, NBA basketball.

Figuring it's a very casual bar, I mosey over in work out clothes, with no make-up and after a perfunctory shower. Oops. The place is packed. There are NO seats in sight, but plenty of drunk Aussie and British men offering a seat at their table. I pass (again -- gym clothes and no make up), as fortunately, the hostess has a table in the back that isn't booked for another two hours. Score.

The menu is making my mouth water, as I haven't really eaten since breakfast: fish and chips, Cajun salmon, various kinds of pizza.

I pondered what beer pairs well with "peppered kangaroo loin". Clueless, I opted instead for a wagyu beef burger with bacon and egg. Makes up for not having breakfast.

Aussies are a fun group. They are packed into this open air restaurant/bar, relentlessly cheering on Andy Murray (who incidentally, I learned I was NOT cheering for, per my friend Des).

My Pure Blonde pint and wagyu beef burger made me quite content. Two pints land a glass of rose later...perhaps a bit over-kill. Fortunately i wasn't drinking alone, as Arwen (a non-elvish one) joined me for the last game or two.


Non-Andy Murray won (yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment