Thursday, February 24, 2011

French winter in the midst of Beijing


View of Maison Boulud upon entering walled compound
On this trip to Beijing, I wrapped up my meetings around 4 p.m. and quickly sped to the central area for some sightseeing (separate entry to follow) and dining. A good friend with a taste for fine French cuisine recommended I try Maison Boulud, Daniel Boulud’s Beijing outpost.
Yes, it’s odd to try classic French within a great Chinese food city like Beijing, but I promise I had my fill of local food, too. Plus, I’ll admit, I haven’t found that perfect French place in Singapore ... the one you go to for classic French recipes, dim and hushed ambience, polished service, leisurely pace and a feeling of wanting to linger for hours over multiple courses, wine and delicious pastries.
Maison Boulud is located just about as centrally as you can get. Right adjacent to Tiananmen Square (which is across the street from Forbidden City, national museum and other must-visits), it is set within a walled compound that used to be the American Embassy at one point. Grey stone buildings flank a small manicured courtyard, and you immediately feel a bit coddled.
Chesnut soup. yummy!
Inside, it feels like an old French mansion, with lots of wood, stone, rich carpeting and fabrics. To the left is a dimly lit, cozy bar area (where you could easily enjoy a meal, though beware, smoking is allowed) and to the right, the main dining area. I was unsure, when I made the booking, whether it was the type of place where I would feel comfortable dining alone in the main dining room; it actually was ideal. It isnt a crowded space and I was seated along the perimeter facing in, flanked by a trio on either side. It is a good place to have a business dinner, romantic date or just dine solo. Even with the large parties and 75 percent capacity, it remained pleasantly abuzz yet relaxed.
Nicolas, the French host, was graciously attentive, welcoming me, ensuring I was comfortable with the table, asked if I would like a magazine or newspaper, and invited me to stay as long as I want, enjoy a book, etc. Very warm French welcome!
The food was just what I wanted after a long week and a couple hours of walking around in the brisk Beijing winter air. Chestnut soup to start, which was preceded by a lovely trio of cheese amuse bouche; duck confit as my main, though the chef sent out his famous black cod poached in olive oil for me to try, which was delicious though practically filled me up; dark chocolate souffle on Nicolas’ recommendation, which to my surprise (and full tummy’s near-horror) was accompanied by tastings of their homemade marshmallow, macaroons, madeleines and brioche.
Gracious Nicolas gave me his card and the contact info of his counterpart at Boulud's Singapore outpost, for when we need a table or anything else. Will definitely be paying a visit to DB Bistro Moderne again soon, and I recommend checking out Maison Boulud in Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment