Friday, September 24, 2010

Long-Haul Flights -- Survival Tips



World's best airline -- Singapore Airlines. Photo courtesy of wikimedia.
In the past six weeks, I’ve been on four long-haul flights. First, my orientation visit to Singapore, which took me from Chicago to Singapore by way of Minneapolis and Amsterdam. Second, my “move” to Singapore. Third, my trip to Beijing for our CEOs visit. Fourth and currently, Singapore to San Francisco for fiscal year 11 planning.

I considered myself a savvy international traveler before but I think I’ve learned a few things. Especially when it comes to packing for the long flights. When you’re in transit for 18+ hours, it’s critical to pack accordingly.

My must-have/must-do list:

Carry on luggage: one small suitcase plus large, multi-pocket tote.

In suitcase:

Outside top pocket: All electronics, chargers, adapters, batteries, etc.

Outside bottom pocket: Slippers, which immediately get put on after boarding; warm socks, as back up (these long-haul flights are FREEZING); extra book or magazine in case I get really bored.

Inside suitcase: Louis’ sweater (to keep warm on the FREEZING long haul flights); change of clothing in vacuum-sealed plastic bag (you will feel so much better if you change clothes after the first leg of you flight or just half way through); shawl/scarf (to wrap round you for warmth as well as moisture … those planes get DRY so I wrap it around my face to breathe in my own moistened air over the stale dry plane air); jewelry and anything else of value (always keep with me on the plane versus in checked luggage…you just never know); a little room left for any airport duty-free purchases; and laptop charger.

In tote:

My favorite travel companion.
Outer pocket of tote: fabric bag with all non-liquid toiletries I view as necessary for plane: Dramamine (for motion sickness and also to help sleep. People swear my Nyquil or Tylenol pm…nope, two Dramamine does me in for awhile without me waking up feeling half drugged); toothbrush; eye mask; an array of stomach medications (Pepto, TUMS…you never know); tissue (for those rare moments when you go to use the toilet after a long flight and gasp, there is no TP); pack of make-up remover soapy towelettes (brilliant for a mid-flight clean-up and/or wipe your seats when you sit) and chapstick. Also in the outside pocket of my tote is my FAA-approved plastic bag with necessary liquid toiletries: hand sanitizer; eye drops (so essential on long flights); mini toothpaste tube(s); small bottle of hand lotion.

Inside the tote is all necessary plane entertainment: laptop, work files, one good novel (I usually take along one I’ve read 100 times unless there is something new that I’m dying to read), folder with all key travel documents; purse contents (since you’re only allowed one personal item…this tote becomes one massively large purse, with wallet, glasses, sunglasses, small make up bag and iPhone), empty water bottle (keep filled at all times, your body gets SO dehydrated on those long flights) and a small bag of trail mix or granola bars (less important on Asian airlines, as they’re good about feeding you quickly and regularly but helpful if you get on the plane only to realize you are starving and a bit nauseated).

My last critical travel item is courtesy of travel author Rick Steves. In all of his books, he recommends carrying a thin pouch that looks like a slimmed down fanny pack and is a perfect place for storing passport, immigration form/card, boarding pass and extra cash. Mine fits under my pants … and it is SO much easier having all that stuff right there versus digging in my purse every time I have to produce. When I get to my hotel or apartment, it immediately goes in the safe so it’s always ready to go. This has become even more important when traveling around Asia as many countries demand you produce your immigration departure card when you leave … so if you accidentally lose it from your wallet or something, you could be in for some travel delays and potentially worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment